Carpet cleaning crayon stains is not a favorite task. Children love to color, and the plush, comfortable rug is the ideal place for their next arts and crafts project. The problem – how to keep the project on the paper and not on the rug? Well, a few simple steps for carpet cleaning can remove those stubborn crayon stains from your rug.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
things you’ll need:
Olive Oil instead of a Solvent (WD-40 or Silicone lubricant)
1 Apply a generous amount of vinegar for carpet cleaning the crayon stains and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
2 Scour with a scrub brush to gently release the crayon stains. Apply more vinegar while scrubbing.
3 Blot with paper towels to see if the crayon stains are coming off the rug. If not, use olive oil for carpet cleaning the crayon stains and repeat steps 1 and 2. The vinegar and the olive oil both act to release the lipid-based wax of the crayon stains that makes it difficult to remove with just plain soap and water.
4 Once the crayon stains are coming off, repeat the steps until it is completely removed, making sure to blot away the released crayon stains.
5 Once the crayon stains are removed, use the dish soap or other detergent and warm water for carpet cleaning up the area. While the vinegar is nontoxic, take care to remove all traces of the solvent from the rug.
6 Wash again, and let dry. For the next kids’ project, use a vinyl mat or table cloth to keep the crayon stains away from the rug.
Tips & Warnings
- Work the vinegar or olive oil into the rug fibers then leave it for a few minutes for the carpet cleaning. This may break down the crayon stains faster.
- If you use a solvent instead of the olive oil, read the warning label of the solvent before using for carpet cleaning.
- If you have to use the solvent, ventilate the room and handle with care.
Incoming search terms:
- how to remove crayon from carpet
- Remove crayon from carpet
- crayon on carpet
- removing crayon from carpet
- how to remove crayon from carpet vinegar
- remove crayon from carpet vinegar
- remove carpet crayon stain with vinegar
- how to remove pre school crayons from the carpet
- how to get crayon out of carpet
- what breaks down crayon